Thursday, August 17, 2017

Amos 7:7-8 - A plumb line

This is what he showed me: The Lord was standing by a wall that had been built true to plumb, with a plumb line in his hand. And the Lord asked me, “What do you see, Amos?”

 “A plumb line,” I replied.

Then the Lord said, “Look, I am setting a plumb line among my people Israel; I will spare them no longer.

When I was a little girl growing up in Nebraska, my Uncle David preached at a little church about two hours from the town we lived in. He preached there for years and years, then his son preached there for years and years. Occasionally my mother and I would accompany my aunt and uncle on their Sunday preaching trip. I remember one Sunday when Uncle David preached on this passage. He showed us a plum line (a cord with a weight to get a straight up/down line) and talked about how as Christians, Jesus is our plumb line. He is the measure we seek to live up to.

Lord, thank you for illustrations in your word. Please help us to continually strive to live up to the guide you have set for us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment