Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Judges 4:8-9 - Mighty warrior women

Barak said to her, “If you go with me, I will go; but if you don’t go with me, I won’t go.”  “Certainly I will go with you,” said Deborah. “But because of the course you are taking, the honor will not be yours, for the Lord will deliver Sisera into the hands of a woman.” So Deborah went with Barak to Kedesh. Judges 4:8-9

I love the story of Deborah. Of the 12 judges God raises during this time period, only one is a woman. It is amazing to me that any women are included in this list, considering this time in history. Israel has again done evil and are in captivity. Deborah tells Barak the Lord commands him to go in to battle to rescue the Israelites. He agrees to, but only if she agrees to go. Barak must have had a great deal of confidence in Deborah and her connection to the Lord. Deborah tells him Sisera, the leader of the opposing army, will be delivered into the hands of a woman. Deborah is not talking about herself. In the heat of the battle, Sisera runs off and hides in the tent of a woman. Jael knows who he is, agrees to hide him, then when he is asleep, hammers a tent peg into his skull!

Lord, Thank you for seeing the strength and potential in each of us. Please use us in whatever way you see fit to do your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment