Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Psalm 134:1-2 - Lift up your hands

Praise the Lord, all you servants of the Lord
     who minister by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the sanctuary
     and praise the Lord.

These scriptures stood out to me for two reasons, First, I thought it was interesting that there were people who ministered by night in the temple. I guess someone needed to keep watch, keep the candles burning and maybe more. It's good to recognize the work of those behind the scenes. Secondly, this Psalm suggests they lift up their hands in the sanctuary and praise the Lord. The people who I worship with are a pretty conservative group, so there is not much lifting of hands. If I had just posted verse 2, it would have supported this practice (it really doesn't bother me one way or the other), but I thought it needed to be shared in context as something that was done in the temple, but at night when no one else was around.

Lord, We love you so much and want to praise you in all the ways pleasing to you. Please help us to fully worship you, in a group or alone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment